Saturday, November 10, 2018

Nightwish @ Accorhotels Arena, Paris - November 10th, 2018


I bought a ticket for this show out of curiosity after seeing one of their recent Wacken shows on TV. I was never a fan their brand of symphonic metal with operatic vocals and cheesy synthesizers but I remember being very impressed with that particular gig. I had written them off because I could never stand Tarja’s vocal mannerisms. Their relatively new singer Floor Jansen thankfully has a more metal approach to the job which balances the pomposity of the compositions.

I purposely arrived after opener Beast in Black’s set. I saw them a year ago open for W.A.S.P. and I didn't care for them at all. So when I arrived the place was packed. I guess I never realised how popular they were. The Accorhotels Arena has a capacity of over twenty thousand people and the place wasn’t far from being sold out!

The presentation was incredible. The screens were constantly animated with wondrous backdrops, the light show was bombastic and the pyro was frequent. The whole thing was massive and very impressive to look at.

The band was very tight (as they must be with so much pre-recorded tapes and samples) and also very pleasant. I was expecting moody gothic edge lords and was pleasantly surprised. Floor looked stunning in her steampunk leather queen costume and sang great.


Their songs still sound like a soundtrack to 80’s animé but it was all so spectacular, professional and energetic that they completely won me over. 








































3 comments:

  1. Bonjour,
    Félicitations pour ces magnifiques photos. J'ai fait l'aller retour depuis Nice en avion pour voir le show et bien que l'avion ait atterri dimanche midi je ne suis moi toujours pas redescendu sur terre. En presque trente ans de concerts (nombreux) je n'ai jamais pris une telle claque. Ce concert était exceptionnel et je te remercie du fond du cœur pour avoir publié ces photos qui font un bien fou et aident à combler le vide. Que de bons souvenirs. M'autoriserais tu à les télécharger pour un usage strictement personnel (sans aucune diffusion sur la toile)?
    Dans tous les cas : bravo et merci Erewän

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bien sur, avec plaisir. C'est vrai que le concert était excellent. Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Merci beaucoup pour la permission
    Bonne continuation.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment on this post: